Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Release negative emotions, improve alignment & back pain

                                              


                                                    Picture taken from here


My yoga pose of the month – Butterfly pose (Baddha Konasana)

Do you know that most ladies hold stress and negative emotions such as anger, resentment, frustration, hostility, fear & guilt in our pelvis?

I know I do and I only found out about this recently, when I started practicing yoga at home. I was doing my corpse pose (you’re supposed to be totally relax in all your muscles and organs), going thru the check-list (Are my toes relax? If not, relax them. Is my jaw relax, if not relax it, etc) when I came to the hip and I suddenly I realized that I’ve been clenching my hip (especially my right side of the hip) coz I could feel it’s more tense there, and I didn’t notice it all along. It has probably become a habit for, me not to notice it.

Some people tend to hold their negative emotions in their jaw, they grit their teeth. Some even goes to the extent of grinding their teeth in their sleep, to the point of wearing out their gums and teeth.

This is called the junk yard at home. Whenever you do not know what to do with a feeling or emotion or experience, you put it there.

Hip opening poses are crucial as the pelvis is the foundation of the body alignment and by opening the muscles around the hips, only then you will be able to move the life force through this critical area.

Benefits of butterfly pose
1) This is an excellent hip opening pose as it stretches the inner thighs, groins and knees
2) Helps alleviate back pain and increases circulation
3) Eases menstrual pain

How
1) Lift both your knees & flip/bound it up and down continuously like the wings of a butterfly. Breathe deep & slow.

  For detailed instructions from a-z, click here.


                                                                  Picture taken from here


2) Lift it up high. 
3) After a minute, bend your body forward, keeping your back straight. Hold for 1 minute. Breathe deep & slow. When you bend forward, ensure both your knees are flat on the floor. Use your elbow to press it down if necessary.
4) Repeat about eight times.


                                                                 



The butterfly pose is also called the Bound Angle Pose or Cobbler’s Pose.

There are many other hip opening poses, but this one is the easiest especially for beginners. 

You can also do it while watching TV on the floor.



You might be interested to check out my other related post below :









10 comments:

  1. Nice pose it help to prevent back pain, yoga is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is. And this pose is really easy to practice anytime anywhere.

    Glad that you find this helpful.. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails